This is a very basic straightforward recipe that takes about 15 minutes to make. The flavours are light but incredibly fresh.
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
Total 15 minutes
450g Cherry or Baby Plum Tomatoes, halved
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Large handful fresh basil
1. Prep the ingredients.
2. Boil a pan of salted water and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions (usually around 9-11 minutes).
3. Whilst the pasta cooks, sauté the onion and garlic on a medium low heat until soft.
4. Add the tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, and gently cook for about 8 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
5. The sauce should be quite thick (you will add water later). Add a generous pinch salt and a few twists of black pepper. Taste and season more if necessary. Don’t under-season or it will be bland.
6. Add most of the basil, roughly torn, whilst retaining a little to garnish with. Stir.
7. Before draining the pasta, remove a cup of the cooking water and add to the sauce.
8. Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce until well mixed.
9. Serve garnished with the remaining basil.