So this is a bit of a fusion dish (read as “mish-mash” of things I like…). It’s a great way to use up leftover veggies that you might have in the fridge. Most veggies can be used but just bear in mind cooking times and the size of the chunks you use. So things like onion and pepper cook quite quickly- leave big and chunky whereas things like sweet potato take longer so cut thinly. This works well with chips as a bit of comfort food but switch it up with a salad and pita bread and you have a good vegan bbq option.
Metal skewers are a great option if you think you will use them even just a few times a year- better than keep buying packs of wooden skewers in plastic wrapping that you need to soak. If you do use wooden skewers, ensure you soak for at least 10 minutes to prevent them from burning too badly in the oven.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hr 15 mins (don’t be put off by the total time, it includes marinating and cooking so only 15 minutes of ‘work’).
Makes 6-8 kebabs
For the kebab:
Use whatever veggies you have lying around! Prep all veggies by cutting into bite size pieces.
1 block of tofu (pressed, or use Tofoo brand)
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 green pepper
Large handful of button mushrooms
1 sweet potato (thin slices, about the size of a large coin)
For the marinade:
4 tbsp tamari/ soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 tsp grated ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lime, juice of
1 red chili, diced (leave seeds in for a kick!)
2 tbsp natural sweetener (e.g Bee Free Honee, maple syrup, agave syrup)
1) If using bamboo skewers, leave them to soak in water
2) Press tofu block by wrapping in a couple of tea towels and laving under a few heavy books for about 10 minutes
3) While the tofu presses, make the marinade by combining all marinade ingredients in a bowl
3) Chop the pressed tofu into bite sized pieces and add to the marinade along with the veggies. Mix well (but gently to avoid breaking the tofu), cover and leave for at least 30 minutes mixing another couple of times while marinading.
4) Preheat the oven to 180c
5) Thread the veggies and tofu onto the skewers and place on a baking tray. Brush with any leftover marinade (keep some marinade if possible to add more partway through cooking). Cook for 30-35 minutes until the veggies are tender. Turn during cooking and add any remaining marinade.
I served with chips I made in an air fryer however these would be fab with salad and pita bread as well.