This wholesome morning belly-warmer is like a berry big hug!
Time to make:
- Prep: 2-5 minutes
- Prepare: 15 minutes
- Total: ~20 minutes
This is Good For:
- Warming up
- Winter weekend breakfasts in front of the TV
- Protein (get IN me chia seeds)
- Dog snacks – I use frozen blueberries and my doggies LOVE a couple each as a wee treat.
- ¼ cup of quinoa
- 1 flat tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 6 almonds (crushed – just bash them up under a wooden spoon if you don’t have a pestle and mortar)
- ¾ cup of water
- ¼ cup of full fat coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon of your favourite nut butter
- Maple syrup (optional, if you like it sweeter)
- Place quinoa, chia seeds, coconut cream, vanilla essence and water into a pan and bring to boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer until quinoa is no longer crunchy and the chia has turned the consistency a little wobblier.
- Whilst you’re waiting for the quinoa to be cooked, put the blueberries in a pan and heat up. Once they’re hot, leave for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally to stop them from sticking. Once they’re very soft, put a couple aside for garnish and squish the rest up.
- Add the squished berries to the porridge and stir through.
- Serve, splitting between two bowls. If it doesn’t look like a decent serve each, do not worry, it is filling!
- Sprinkle on the left-over berries, crushed almonds, a small amount of cinnamon and finish with a drizzle of maple syrup.
*Berries and other foods figured in a major study published in Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. This research provided a comprehensive report of antioxidant content in fruits and vegetables; berries won hands down, in providing the most antioxidant bang for your buck. In fact, just one cup of berries provides all the disease-fighting antioxidants you need in a single day! www.webmd.com