This creation came about after a Fignic (fig + picnic, get it?) at a winery in the Adelaide Hills, Australia!
Time to make:
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 1 hour (about 50 minutes of this is caramelising the onions!)
- Total: 1 hour 10 minutes
This is Good For:
- Seasonal eating – wait until figs are in season and get picking!
- Taste – I’m not joking, this one smacks a punch
- Dinner parties – double or triple up and you’ve got a great share dinner
- Red wine – pairs beautifully with a nice red
- 2 Flatbreads (I used Lebanese pita breads, but really, any kind of bread will do. You can even use pizza bases).
- 5 Figs
- 2 large brown onions
- Two handfuls of rocket (Arugula – hi America!)
- 2 almonds (yes, just two!)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Vegan Feta Cheese (I use Bio Cheese)
- Vegan butter
- Robust/strong flavoured Olive oil
- Cracked black pepper
- Slice the onions into rings and place into a non-stick pan with a splash of olive oil. Salt and cook down. You can have the heat fairly high to get them going, as if you’re softening them normally. Then, once soft, turn the heat down and leave cooking for about 30 minutes (or until golden). Don’t let stick, add more oil if required.
- Whilst the onions are cooking, finely grate the almonds, crumble up the feta, pull the thyme leaves off their twigs and prepare the figs by chopping off the hard tops and bottoms and slicing them in half lengthways. Set all to one side.
- Once the onions are nice and golden, push them to the outside of the pan and add a heaped tablespoon of the vegan butter to the middle. Melt and let bubble for 5 seconds. Add the figs, seed side down.
- Turn on the grill.
- Drizzle olive oil on the flatbreads and place them under the grill for 30 seconds, to warm them. Keep an eye on them, they burn quick. I know.
- Place the flatbreads on plates and split the caramelised onions between the two, spreading them out to cover.
- Scatter a handful of rocket/arugula on each and split the figs between the two, placing them on the rocket seed side up (looks prettier!)
- Sprinkle on the crumbled feta, thyme and the grated almond.
- Top with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Pour a glass of red and enjoy!